|Hansen Easy Fit Pipe Fittings are designed to fit New Zealand Low Density Polyethylene Pipe, Marley Enduro Flex and Australian Rural B.
Because of changing materials used in the manufacture of Low Density pipe, it has over the years become a firmer pipe to work with, So to help you along, we've put together a few simple tips to help get the best connection possible!
- Before installing the fitting onto the pipe, always ensure the nut is wound back to the centre (body) of the fitting as far as possible.
- In cold conditions you may need to heat the pipe or run a large phillips screwdriver around the inside of the pipe to open up the pipe end, or a combination of the two for insertion onto the fitting hose tail. Some ways to soften the pipe are;
• Dip the pipe into hot water in a thermos flask.
• A gas torch, the larger the pipe bore the larger the flame required, but be careful not to over heat the pipe.
• A vehicle exhaust but again be careful not to damage the pipe
- Insert the pipe fitting into the pipe and force the pipe well up into the nut. You can use a rubber head mallet (not a steel hammer) if available to knock the fitting all the way onto the pipe. The pipe needs to go as far up into the nut as possible.
- Screw the nut back down over the pipe, you should feel the nut engaging the pipe within a couple of turns, if not back the nut off and force the pipe further onto the fitting.
- Screw the nut down over the pipe by hand until tight and then using poly grips, screw the nut down another 1 to 2 turns ensuring you hold the pipe with your free hand not the fitting.
When the nut is tight you should see no more than 4 to 5 threads at the back of the nut, if anymore again you have not forced the pipe onto the fitting far enough and need to back the nut off and go back to step 3.
If the above steps are followed the fitting will not leak or pull off the pipe.
To watch a video demonstrating some of these techniques, click to see our Handy Tips
Any problems please contact Hansen Products and one of our staff will gladly talk you through the process.